Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:40:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Laptop <-> Desktop by ethernet

I want to attch my laptop and desktop by ethernet.

- Both are running -stable supped and built a couple of weeks ago.
- The desktop has an intel etherexpress pro at fxp0. I know it works
  because I use it for my DHCP cable connection.
- I'm confident my hosts and exports files are OK because I have
  mounted file systems of each machine on the other using lp0.
- The pccard is found and pccardd assigns ed0 to my linksys etherfast
  pcmpc100.
- dhclient also worked on my laptop where I work.
- I got myself a crossover cable to connect the two machines directly,
  but when I try to mount a file system from either machine on
  the other I get

	NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

I have tried ifconfig at the command line and using sysinstall to try
to set these up, but no luck.

I thought I was past the hard part when my pccard seemed to be set up
properly. It's probably just my ignorance showing again. Any pointers
greatly appreciated.

Greg