Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:09:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Per-release installation instructions?

I have to say that FreeBSD, while I usually admire its conservative
good taste, has hung on to 3.X about 1-2 releases too long.  For a
while it was been some flusterment to be walking someone through an
install and then, when we get to the 'configure X' part to say "nope,
forget that, install this port, now execute this command with the
-configure argument -- yeah yeah, I know it is not in the book but
just do it" (be it Greg's book or the handbook etc).  I was happy to
find that the handbook has been updated to mention 4.X and how to deal
with it.

Nik,
Is 4.X now the default?  I was confused by your message.  I hope it
finally is.  Secondly, might it not be better to just have had the
mention of XFree in the handbook qualified by FreeBSD version.  Many
other parts have 4.X versus 5.0 instructions.  I don't see why this
should have been any different.

OR are you saying that by linking to the online installation notes
that information post-4.5 was being mixed in with information current
with 4.5?  Was this because one was the online handbook and it should
have been following a local link?

I think I have run into ickiness like that when I try to get port
information online and find that it is inconsistent with my ports
directory because I haven't cvsup-ed.

Really, I suppose the best thing that one can strive for is that the
docs one reads are current with the CD-set they came with and won't link
out online unless there is a damn good reason to.

-r