Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:59:28 +0200
From:      Thomas Pornin <pornin@bolet.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Size of Alpha binaries

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 05:04:53PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> You can set keyboard/language on the SRM level. Type SHOW to find it, the
> name is rather obvious (but escapes me at the moment)

Actually, there is something fishy about that setting. I live in France
and I have a French keyboard; for various reasons, I prefer my keyboard
to be considered as a US keyboard (mainly, my fingers know how to type
on a US keyboard). If under FreeBSD I use a US keymap, the keyboard is
used as a US keyboard, and what is effectively written on the keys is
completely irrelevant.

However, if I declare to the SRM that the keyboard is a US one, the
`| and \ key' does not work (I tried all keys, those characters are
nowhere to be found). The whole keyboard is considered as a standard
US keyboard by the SRM, except for that key. I don't know why. If I
configure the SRM to assume a French keyboard, all keys work as they are
supposed to do with a French keyboard. I observed this behaviour on all
Alpha machines I could try under SRM (two PWS 500a, some XP1000, several
Multia, and my current AXPpci33).

	--Thomas Pornin