Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:29:12 -0500 ()
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Steve wrote:

> Go with the cisco!  There is something just a bit off with freebsd's
> tcp/ip.  I have a subgroup of users who get stalls, if my freebsd's are
> not the other side of my cisco from them.  For instance, if they were to
> pull headers from a new server on the same subnet, the news server being
> freebsd, it would stop.. Same with web pages.

Have you used tcpdump to investigate this? "Something just a bit off"
doesn't mean anything to me.

If putting your FreeBSD boxes behind a router fixes things, then I have a
hard time believing that it is a TCP/IP problem. Remember, routers do
layer 3 switching, which means the problem is most likely at layer 2 or
layer 1.

-BD