Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:09:58 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 dependency and sysinstall

> As I said before, can you make XFree86 tarballs install a proper entry
> in /var/db/pkg/XFree86-3.3.2?  Since pkg_add now aborts with an error
> when a @pkgdep line doesn't exist, this has been upgraded from "nice"
> to "somewhat important". :)

Yeah, erm.  Yuck... :-)

I appreciate the desire for this, but the reason I also haven't done
this yet stems from the fact that turning an arbitrary tarball into a
"package" requires that you contrive a fair amount of data.  Sure, the
bulk of the PLIST is just a `tar tf ..' away, but then there's the
description information and the dependency list and all the other
metainfo which makes a package a lot more than just a tar file.

I'm torn between some shell script which automagically gets run by
sysinstall after extracting an X distribution tarball (yay, yet
another special-case) or just making the X tarballs packages in the
first place, taking what the XFree86 project gives us and then doing
an extra conversion step.  For that matter, we could also build the
packages ourselves from the x11/XFree86 port - wouldn't that be just
nifty (and a good deal less "astonishing" than the alternatives).  But
jmz is the MAINTAINER of that port, you see, so if I push that
suggestion really hard you'll only come back and accuse me of trying
to get off the hook. :-)

- Jordan