Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 19:05:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Blake Crosby <dev@samurai.com>
Cc:        isp-webhosting@isp-webhosting.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restricting Users Geographically

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Blake Crosby wrote:

> I currently run the (only) Canadian PostgreSQL www mirror. I am finding
> people who aren't in Canada using the mirror, and somewhat bothered by this
> fact.

  I live in Canada, and I don't necessarily agree with that.  Canada and
the US are part of the same continent, and most of the Canadian population
is near the border.

  For instance, you are located in Toronto, and I'm in Vancouver.  For
someone in Vancouver, 9 times out of 10, a site in California is going to
be faster than anything in Toronto.  It is geographically wise and network
wise, closer than Toronto.

  The FreeBSD cvsup mirror in Canada is a good example.  It is pretty
slow from Vancouver.  I'd like to setup another FreeBSD cvsup mirror in
Vancouver, Canada, because it would be good for everyone on the west
coast.

Tom