Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:01:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@shellyeah.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   C style continued.... (Craig and Terry)

Craig, you answered my  question by at least legitimizing what I learned
is called Allman style.  And fortunately it is closely related to BSD.  :)

Terry, I like the vi shortcut.  Glad to know you are a vi user as well.  I
knew there was something I liked about you from the beginning.  ;)

I like the Allman style, because the braces don't get lost, and because
the logical loops and forks are readily evident.  And I don't believe the
screen real estate problem is really an issue any more.  The source tree
is full of multi-line comments, and blank lines to mark logic and make the
code easier to read.  The source code is for people, the binary is for the
machines.

I must say, after deciding to implement 'style' in my code at work, I
actually found a bug or two, and I found ways to make my code far more
readable.  And I even reminded myself what some forgotten functions did,
and I took the opportunity to comment them. :)

And to the extent possible, I have decided to 'un-Win32' my code from now
on.... no more stupid hungarian notation, mixed case variable names, and
#defines that I have no idea what they are.

_export FAR PASCAL foo(LPINT variable)

became

_export _far _pascal foo(int _far *variable)

and lowercase looks so much better, anyway.  :)

jonathon
(my other address is down  :(1