Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:17:29 +0800
From:      Geoff Glasson <glastech@iinet.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Probing for devices

Folks,

I'm trying to port the Linux i810 Direct Rendering Interface ( DRI ) kernel
module to FreeBSD.  I have reached the point where the thing compiles, and I
can load it as a kernel module, but it can't find the graphics device.

Through a process of elimination I have come to the conclusion that once the
AGP kernel module probes and attaches to the i810 graphics device, nothing
else can attach to it.  When I read the section on PCI devices it implied (
to me at least ) that multiple kernel modules should be able to attach to the
same device.  I have tried to get it to work without any success.

Has anyone else out there tried anything similar?  If so, did you manage to
get it to work?  Does anyone have any suggestions for other things that I can
try?

Thanks in advance...Geoff

BTW: I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE on a Pentium 3.

--
Geoff Glasson
glastech@iinet.net.au