Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 10:27:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        mbarkah@hemi.com (Ade Barkah)
Cc:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de, jkh@time.cdrom.com, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD GNATS-related CGI scripts

> Martin wrote:
> > CVS:
> > Makefile,v              ftp.cgi,v               query-pr-summary.cgi,v
> > cgi-lib.pl,v            ftp.mirrors,v           query-pr.cgi,v
> > cgi-style.pl,v          gallery.cgi,v           search.cgi,v
> > cvsweb.cgi,v            mirror.cgi,v
> >
> > For me, it looks like the www/data hierarchy on ftp.freebsd.org isn't
> > updated on a regular basis. (while src/ surely is).
>
> Well, the CGIs do not live in www/data/cgi, but in www/cgi-bin,
> which isn't in CVS. I was going to send the relevant files to
> whoever requested it, but I noticed that some of the files do
> not have any copyright descriptions, so I hesitated (the others
> have GNU copyleft.)

No, there are two seperate issues involved here:

1) The WWW server has two cgi directories.
/usr/local/www/cgi-bin   (source unknown, I assume hand-feeded)
/usr/local/www/data/cgi  (from CVS tree)

2) The outchecked CVS tree on ftp.freebsd.org is up-to-date only in
the src/ directory, www/data isn't updated.

These issues are completly seperate.

The second issue must be resolved by fixing the cron entry that
updates src/ to update www/ as well (that's what I assume, anyway).

The first issue is a matter of reorganizing. I think the first thing
to do is to remove duplicate entries, a cgi script in the CVS-feeded
directory should not longer live as a hand-updated script
elsewhere. First thing is to look for references to outdated scripts
(Yes, that's my job :-).

If you send CGI scripts to outside people, please make sure you send
the right one. Th pr-related scripts are an example, some are in the
CVS-feeded directory and have an outdated brother in the other dir,
other pr-related scripts are not part of the CVS tree at all.

Martin

P.S. We had quite some requests for CGI scripts from outside
people. We should make sure there's a central place on ftp.freebsd.org
to get them from. IMHO, the best way to do so is to add all
general-purpose scripts to the CVS tree and make sure the -current
tree on ftp.f.o is updated right.

What's the police to add things to the CVS tree? I feel a bit
uncomfortable to add masses of CGIs to the CVS repository that gets
distributed to all people who really want the FreeBSD source
tree. Maybe keeping www/ and src/ in the same CVS tree is not the
right thing to do in the long term?

--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>