Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 19:00:35 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: walnut creek's ftp site

>How many hits per day does walnut creek receive? I've just seen an article
>at http://www.microsoft.com/syspro/technet/tnnews/features/mscom.htm and
>was wondering how badly they compared with FreeBSD.

   We have one, single processor server that handles both FTP and WWW. On a
good day, we send out 150GB of files to about 50,000 people. On the same day
the same machine gets about 400,000 http hits. During all of this the CPU is
about 40% idle. Averages prior to recent network problems run about 10% below
these numbers.
   This is hard to compare with Microsoft since they are using multiple 4
processor machines. However, they claim their daily average is 350GB/day,
so I think we're doing pretty well with nearly half as much as them with
only a single, 1 CPU machine.

-DG

David Greenman