Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:06:14 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Status of sound drivers

I've received some info back from 4Front technologies (courtesy of their web
page) in which they said the following -

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for visiting our WWW site!.
>
>We are projecting a release of OSS/FreeBSD within 30 days of the official
>release of FreeBSD 2.2. For about 6-9 months, OSS/FreeBSD is going to be
>a commercial only sound driver for FreeBSD. After that, we'll give our
>source code to the FreeBSD organization for free distribution with the
>FreeBSD kernel sources. OSS/Free for FreeBSD will be similar to the Linux
>kernel sound drivers (known as OSS/Free). We hope that both Linux and
>FreeBSD can benefit from the OSS/Free drivers and help us make OSS a UNIX
>standard.

I'd like some of the features which are not in our current sound driver,
e.g. the ability to enquire of the card's capabilities (SNDCTL_DSP_GETCAPS)
and the ability to mmap the card's DMA buffer into user space. A while back
Amancio was working on a pre-release version of this driver. Is there any
chance of getting this rolling again? I still have the old sources myself, and
we could merge in some of the recent sound stuff that other people have
contributed (the AWE32 work, Andrey Chernov's DMA restart)

	Stephen
--
The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation Board of
Queensland, Australia.