Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 15:46:20 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        jre@globalnet.co.uk
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of perl on FreeBSD

> I'm just a user of FreeBSD but I'd personally prefer solution 3 that you
> are proposing. I would like to seek clarification on one point you made
> though if I may:
>
> >    CON: bloody nightmare to maintain, fragile as hell, breaks.
> >         will require that future library bloat from perl project
> >         be taken; this is likely to be heavy.
>
> What exactly is fragile about Perl in the base OS and what breaks?
> Apologies if I'm being dumb.

It runs fine, but the build is very fragile in cross-builds, OS upgrades,
OS reinstalls and so on. Its all in the generated library makefiles,
staring with DynaLoader - these makefiles are very sensitive to the
environment they were generated in, and are not tolerant of a BSD
make environment when a make -DNOCLEAN is done or a make install is
done over NFS where directory paths aren't the same as for the build.
Perl builds have the habit of turning build-time options into run-time
defaults, and overriding this is Hard.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn
#text/plain; name=cv.doc [Mark Murray CV Plain Text] cv.doc
#application/octet-stream; name=cv.pdf [Mark Murray CV PDF] cv.pdf