Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:20:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Derrell Lipman <derrell@vis-av.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best method for upgrading FreeBSD version

--Multipart_Tue_Jan_28_00:20:34_1997-1

I was unable to find any info in the FAQ about HOW to upgrade from one
version of FreeBSD to a later version.  What is the recommended
procedure?  I'm going from 2.1.5-RELEASE to 2.2(SNAP?).  Is it
reasonable to just install 2.2 on top of 2.1.5?  Do I need to
backup/restore some portions?  OBVIOUSLY I need to back up my data
before doing an upgrade.  The question is, do I need to remove 2.1.5
or make new file systems when I install 2.2?

If I _can_ install right on top, which file systems should be save
from modification?

If I can't, what is the recommended procedure for saving relevent
configuration files from /etc?

Thanks.

--Multipart_Tue_Jan_28_00:20:34_1997-1

Derrell

-- Derrell Lipman      Amateur Radio: N1YDI      Grumman Tiger, N28860

 - Civil Air Patrol:
   MAWG Group 1 HQ, Aerospace Education / Senior Programs
   Cadet Programs Officer, Mountain Mission Pilot, Air Ops Director,
   Ground Team Leader, Ground Ops Director, Mission Coordinator Trainee,
   Communications Unit Director, Patriot 103

Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Sec. 227,
any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is
subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

--Multipart_Tue_Jan_28_00:20:34_1997-1--