Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:26:20 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1017447981.e0f1b4@mired.org>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Switching between kernels

In <20020324223626.G281@fishballoon.dyndns.org>, Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com> typed:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:23:53PM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com> writes:
> > > Just hit a key to break out of the autoboot countdown, then:
> > > 	boot kernel.PCM
> > > or whatever you called the alternative kernel.
> > Might he need to do something with modules.PCM?
> > (The Handbook and loader(8) manual are too sketchy.))

That's because the truth is variable. Most modules don't care about
most compile-time options. A few do care about some.

> Since both of Per's kernels are built from the same sources and identical
> except for the SMP/PCM options, either should work with the same set of
> modules.

You're probably right. On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if
some modules changed because of SMP. PCM is available as a module
itself, so that shouldn't change anything.

	<mike