Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:27:13 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <andrew@lake.com.au>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 08:18:39PM -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>      Well, not quite.  The icon by itself consumes one filesystem
> fragment (default 1K).  The system allocates space for files in chunks
> of disks (one "fragment", if I understand how the FFS works, which I may
> not).  Your 10 byte file is now occupying an additional 1K.

This sounds like an argument for file system use profiling and
tweaking to me.  We already have an optimisation for symlinks of
a certain size that can reside directly in the inode (replacing
the indirect pointers).  Perhaps icons can do that too.  I believe
(memory is rusty) that the RISC-OS file system was optimised for
small files in this way, too.

--
Andrew