Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 95 20:19:04 METDST
From:      marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
To:        hvt@vie.co.at
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN, X25 Questions

> Hi,
> We are here on the Vienna Airport intersted, to get some knowlegde,
> how good FrreBSD is prepared to use ISDN with Cards, like the Teles etc.

There are some Dr. Neuhaus (German) cards which are supported.  These cards
seem to be compatible with European ISDN standards.  However, I do not know
whether these are compatible with Austrian telecom standards (but I guess
I could look it up; somebody around here should know.)

On the other hand, there are some external, so called ISDN modems, which
talk to the computer via RS-232 and answer to the Hayes compatible modem
command set.  These go up to 115 k async.

Thirdly, ether to ISDN bridges also exist.

> Same question for X25. I think of porting Edifact Communication/translation/
> and routing code, that I have written for a ISC Unix, thats now becomming
> old and unsupported here, to FreeBSD.

I don't know for sure, but I think I've seen something about X.25 in the
kernel sources.  Didn't investigate it, though, as I have absolutely no
use for it.

> If somebody has info about drivers, stability, protocls, and/or can point
> me where to find ?

> Also I would like to ask, under which conditions we can use this system
> commercially. I also think of the use as a small router and our first steps
> with a firewall, also if possible with Isdn.

I'm not a lawyer, so take this with a lot of salt.

Parts of the kernel are licensed to the user under two, different, licenses.
Most of the kernel is under Berkeley style copyright/license which allows
you to do whatever you wish with those parts, as long as you give credit
to the original authors.  You can sell the binaries only, you can incorpo-
rate sources into your own products, etc.

Some other parts, unfortunately also the drivers for Dr. Neuhaus cards,
are under GNU General Public License.  This one requires that you give away
the source to the derived program (in this case the kernel as a whole) if
it uses parts of GPL licensed code, in the case that the derived program
is distributed.  This means that you cannot really sell binaries only,
and you cannot sell/distribute even parts of the system which are binary
only (proprietary drivers, for instance.)  You can use them as you wish
for your own purposes, however.

As far as I know, there are no parts of the system that prevent the use
of it in commercial environment.  Some ported applications (ports, not
packages) may have such restrictions.  These applications are, within the
framework of FreeBSD, distributed only as patches to the original
distributions, and are not packaged (neither as binaries, nor sources.)

> Which are the suggested Pci Ehtercards, are they stable enough ?

Drivers for cards based on Digital chips are excellent.  These come in
10Mbps and 100Mbps varieties.

> Please mail also directly, cause I am not on the list.

> Thanks for Your help, anton

Hope it helps,
/Alby

> PS: I just started to use 2.0.5 privatly, and like to say its GREAT work.

Since I live in Vienna, please don't hesitate to contact me if I can
offer you some additional data.  I'd be glad to help you, if I can.

I can be reached at work (address below) or privately at:

Marino Ladavac
Danhausergasse 5 / 2-3
1040 Wien

Tel: 0222 504 5987
Fax: 0222 504 5848

--
._______V_______.  Dipl.-Ing. Marino Ladavac    (marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at)
| A L C A T E L |           Systems Engineer    Network Management Applications
+---------------+  Alcatel Austria AG.   Scheydgasse 41.   1211 Wien.   Austria
                                Tel:(+43 1) 27722 3769    Fax:(+43 1) 27722 171