Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:36:30 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        af@biomath.jussieu.fr, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: YP/NIS and AMD

> This  seems like a configuration VERY similar to what I have here (and
> it works nicely). On which machine do these messages appear ?

The NIS client (the freebsd machin - clc_rtr).

> Does the FBSD machine get bound ? what does "ypwhich" say ?

It says:

bash$ ypwhich
vfr

> Side  note:  do  you  really  need  NIS+ ?  It's  a  real  pain  in  a
> non-all-Solaris-2.x  network. I use the NIS server package for Solaris
> 2.x (a.k.a NSKit) which is really much closer to the real thing...

No, I suppose we don't but the other system adminstrator wants to use
NIS+.  It's already configured, up, and running on the SUN and it works
fine with FreeBSD (other than the error messages).

> > BTW, is there any way to override the shell from the Sun password
> > map?  Users usually have it set to /bin/ksh, so as a hack I've loaded
> > pdksh and made a link in /bin/ksh to /usr/local/bin/ksh.
> >

> Not any I know of... what would you like their shell to be on the FBSD
> machine  ? Anyway  it  would always be creating some kind of link from
> /bin/ksh to whatever shell you like them to use...

I wanted to be able to use bash on the FreeBSD machine.  I'd be using it
on the Sun, but I haven't gotten it to work correctly.  It screws up
when you try to wildcard files (like during an ls) and you lose the first
character or two of each filename.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org