Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 1997 00:56:35 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Vinay Kumar <vinay@agni.nuko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic with 2.2-Gamma

>Hi folks,
>
>I decided to upgrade from 2.1.5 to the latest RELENG_2_2 from
>cvsup.freebsd.org. I managed to compile, but the kernle panics after
>learning that my computer is a pentium pro.
>
>Hardware:
> 200Mhz Pentium Pro
> 2Gb hard disk
> 2940 SCSI controller card
>
>I had no problem at all running 2.1.5, which recognized it as a pentium
>200Mhz pc.
>2.2 detects it (rightly) as a pentium pro and panics saying "unknown CPU
>type" or something to that effect. I am sorry I was not able to jot down
>the exact panic message for your benefit. I will try get that information
>tomorrow (I am dialed in thru ppp currently). Anyone experience similar
>problems?

   You need to add:

cpu             "I686_CPU"

   ...to your kernel config file. It's always a good idea to carefully examine
the 'GENERIC' kernel config file when upgrading to a newer version of FreeBSD;
we often add new things and change the format/specification of old things, and
this is usually important.

-DG

David Greenman