Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:57:56 +0200
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
Cc:        bsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question on CVSuping ports for first time on a system

Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au> wrote:

Hi,
I've got a query about CVSuping the ports collection for the first time on a
system. According to
/usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvsup-advanced/examples.html you
should use  *default tag=<shipping-date-of-your-release> for the first CVSup
to create the ports checkouts file.
I used tag=2002.06.11.09.02.00 for 4.6-R, so my cvsup file looked like
*default tag=2002.06.11.09.02.00
#*default tag=.
*default host=cvsup.au.FreeBSD.org
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
ports-all

When I tried that, cvsup deleted all my ports. Obviously this is not right!
The example cvsup file in /usr/obj/examples and the Handbook don't mention
this at all, they just say use tag=. for the ports collection.
Using tag=. seems to work correctly.

I'm just wondering, is that correct, or should I do something else the first
time?

Hello Ian,

I am the author of the article.  I am sorry for the inconvenience.

I wrote:

Since ports are tagged ``.'' (ie -CURRENT), you can correctly ``sync'' them
for the first time by adding the date keyword (cf cvsup(1) for the exact
format): you should specify a date as close as possible to that of
``shipping'' of your ports tree.

That is, ports _are_ tagged ``.'' (``tag=.'' the period being essential), and
you _add_ a date field (date=<some_suitable_date>).

In other words, for the first sync operation, you retrieve the current branch
of the Ports collection, as of a specified date; you specify a date close to
that of "shipping" of your ports tree.

The reason for this paranoid approach is found at
http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html (see Q12, Q13, Q40).

I hope this is less cryptic. :-) However, an explicit practical example should
make the section clearer and better.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Regards,
Salvo