Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 1999 13:49:35 -0800
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        "Yevmenkin, Maksim N, CSCIO" <myevmenkin@att.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to get Ethernet MAC address

> From: "Yevmenkin, Maksim N, CSCIO" <myevmenkin@att.com>
> Date: 1999-12-03 10:11:49 -0800
> To: "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: How to get Ethernet MAC address
>
> Hello All,
>
> Is there any ioctl command to get Ethernet MAC address from specific
> interface?
>
> I've checked netstat and ifconfig source code and mail archive.
> It seems to me all use different methods to do the same thing.
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 3.3-Release. May be SIOGHWADDR (as in Linux)
> is a good idea?

Try SIOCGIFCONF, and search through the list of returned structures
for one with address family AF_LINK.  The sockaddr for this one will
be a sockaddr_dl, with the MAC address enclosed.  See the code, e.g.,
for netstat, or for ifconfig.  There's also a sysctl() request that
works.

Regards,

Justin

--