Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:05:58 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tiarnan O Corrain <ocorrain@esatclear.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux -> BSD drive addresses

On Tuesday, 25 December 2001 at 16:11:39 +0000, Tiarnan O Corrain wrote:
> Hi all--
>
> I recently switched from Linux to FreeBSD, and am
> puzzled by FreeBSD's drive addressing scheme. Basically I have a Linux
> partition on my second drive that contains all of my mp3s. It is the
> second partition on the disk. Here's what fdisk reports:
>
>   wintermute# fdisk /dev/ad0
>   ******* Working on device /dev/ad0 *******
>   parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
>   cylinders=2658 heads=240 sectors/track=63 (15120 blks/cyl)
>
>   Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
>   parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
>   cylinders=2658 heads=240 sectors/track=63 (15120 blks/cyl)
>
>   Media sector size is 512
>   Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
>   Information from DOS bootblock is:
>   The data for partition 1 is:
>   sysid 12,(DOS or Windows 95 with 32 bit FAT, LBA)
>       start 257040, size 20487600 (10003 Meg), flag 0
>   	  beg: cyl 17/ head 0/ sector 1;
>   	  end: cyl 1023/ head 239/ sector 63
>   The data for partition 2 is:
>   sysid 131,(Linux filesystem)
>       start 20744640, size 19444320 (9494 Meg), flag 0
>   	  beg: cyl 1023/ head 255/ sector 63;
>   	  end: cyl 1023/ head 239/ sector 63
>   The data for partition 3 is:
>   <UNUSED>
>   The data for partition 4 is:
>   <UNUSED>
>
> I can't seem to convert this information into a usable device name for
> FreeBSD. For example:
>
>   wintermute# mount_ext2fs /dev/ad0s1 /mnt
>   mount_ext2fs: vfsload(ext2fs): No such file or directory
>
>   wintermute# mount_ext2fs /dev/ad0s2 /mnt
>   mount_ext2fs: vfsload(ext2fs): No such file or directory
>
> Can anyone help me?

Well, for some reason it took from Christmas to Easter for your
message to make it here, so possibly you already have the answer.  In
case you haven't:

The individual "partitions" shown in the list above are what we call
"slices".  You have the naming correct: they're /dev/ad0s1 to
/dev/ad0s4.  FreeBSD file systems are put on partitions with the
slices, lettered a to h.  If you had a FreeBSD partition in slice 3,
it would potentially have partitions called /dev/ad0s3a to
/dev/ad0s3h.  Partition c is special: it corresponds to the entire
slice.

As somebody else has pointed out, your Linux slice is a single file
system with the name /dev/ad0s2.  The problem you have is that the
device node doesn't exist.  You need to do the following:

  # cd /dev
  # ./MAKEDEV ad0s3

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.