Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2006 00:29:36 +0530
From:      "Amitabh Kant" <amitabhkant@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with mysqld running from /etc/rc.local in FreeBSD6

Hi

Please excuse me for my ignorance, as I am fairly new to FreeBSD. I
have a FreeBSD 6.0 running on a test system. I successfully installed
mysql5 server from the ports collection. Now to make it start during
the boot process, I created a file "/etc/rc.local" and entered the
complete path of the mysqld_safe (/usr/bin/mysqld_safe if I am not
wrong) in the same file.

I later realised that this is not the correct way to start mysql
daemon, but the problem is that I did not make any changes to the
/etc/rc.local file. Now when I reboot the machine, the boot process
simply stops after starting mysqld daemon. It will not go away even
after trying Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Q or Ctrl-Break. I tried sshing into the
machine from another system, but it seems that sshd is not up yet, so
I can't just login and change the /etc/rc.local file. It is pinging
the test machine without problems, so atleast the network interface is
up. How do I go about wither bypassing the commands written in the
"/etc/rc.local" file or editing "/etc/rc.local" file to comment out
the offending mysqld line.

If it is of any significance, I am running a software Raid1 setup on
my test system.

Thanks for your help

Amitabh