Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:56:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.org, Gilbert Gong <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

On 20-Dec-01 Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> John writes:
>
>> I think desktop OS is misnomer.  UI and OS are
>> two separate things, regardless of how much MS
>> ties the two together.
>
> That is true in a strict sense, but today, no ordinary computer user would
> tolerate a desktop without a GUI.  If someone really wants a CLI-based
> desktop, then UNIX suddenly becomes the OS of choice, as Windows can't even
> begin to support that sort of environment, whereas UNIX was born for it.
>
> It has also occurred to me that blind users might find UNIX to be a very
> friendly OS.  They don't really need or want a GUI, and everything that UNIX
> can do can usually be done with plain text.
>
>> And you have said that you think FreeBSD is not
>> a viable desktop for specific circumstances.
>> That is equivalent to it not being valid for
>> _any_ circumstance.
>
> According to what logic?

Some said (rough paraphrase):

FreeBSD is suitable for use as a desktop for specific circumstances.

This is equivalent to:

FreeBSD is suitable for use as a desktop for at least one circumstance.

Jeremiah replied with:

"I do not agree."

Which is equivalent to:

FreeBSD is not suitable for use as a desktop for at least one circumstance.

Which is equivalent to:

FreeBSD is not suitable for use as a desktop for any circumstance.