Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 08:55:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        metcalf@imagine.com
Subject:   Upgrade to FreeBSD 2.1.5

     Hello,

     I would like to update to FreeBSD 2.1.5 from FreeBSD 2.1.0
     by downloading files from ftp.freebsd.org.  My system
     contains the following distributions:

     minimal binaries + manual pages
     kernel sources
     XFree86

     I don't imagine that anything has changed in XFree86 since
     the 2.1.0 distribution.  Is that true?

     I also have added various packages and ports from the
     2.1.0 CDROM distribution.  Might I have to recompile or
     reinstall any of these?  If so, must I download new
     packages and ports, or just reinstall/recompile the
     ones on my 2.1.0 CDROM?

     My question is, which files should I have to download
     to make the transition from FreeBSD 2.1.0 to FreeBSD
     2.1.5 without rebuilding the entire system?  I presume
     that I should download the bin and (sys) src and
     possibly the manpages distributions.  Is there anything
     that I have missed?  I presume that I should download
     a new installation floppy image to use the "upgrade to
     2.1.5" option.

     I would just purchase the CDROM, but I am waiting on the
     new vfatfs filesystem and I can't afford much at this
     point.  I want to remain current until the release with
     vfatfs.  Then I will buy another CDROM.

     Thank You,

     J. Metcalf