Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 05:28:54 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   preliminary design of new bus/device system for FreeBSD

well... I've been looking at improving the bus/device design in freebsd
to handle better conflicts in resources and making the design more
expandable...

right now I've put what I've writen down so far at
http://resnet.uoregon.edu:6971/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html...

I'm looking at using extent for resource management.. but also extending
it so that we can include a tag so we know which device is the
conflicting device... at the same time, I plan on improving extent so
that it will coalesce objects into a sublist so that inserting a new
extent will be faster, but still keep all extents seperate...

Right now this bus design depends upon the creation of a processor bus
that will initally create the resources and start probing...  do we
have anybody that is knowledgable about EISA/vlb design that can inform
me (in private mail) on the specifics on how they hang off the processor
bus along with the ISA bus?

comments? suggestions? improvements?  (the struct/memeber names are open
to sugestion, just needed something now :) )

right now the only thing I'm questioning is possibly adding a busid feild
to struct gendevice to make sure we don't call a probe/attach/etc on the
wrong device...  but I'm not sure that really should be neccessary...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD