Date:               Fri, 20 Oct 1995 15:50:58 -1000
From:      "Peter Stubbs" <PETERS@staidan.qld.edu.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         mounting a cd

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Aptiva 486DX4100 running 2.0.5. It has a
single spin SCSI Toshiba cdrom on an adaptec 1542. The boot disk is
an IDE.

When it boots and mounts the cd at /cdrom it seems to create a file
in the root directory called /cdrom with the following stats

-r-xr-xr-x   2 root wheel  2048 May 1 20:00 cdrom

mount says that the cd is mounted, ie

/dev/cd0a on /cdrom (local,read-only)

but I can't access the cd. Nor can I un mount it by typing 'unmount
/cdrom' but 'unmount /dev/cd0a' works and suddenly /cdrom becomes a
directory again!

Everything was fine until I was copying a large archive to a floppy
mounted at /mnt and (foolishly) typed 'ls /mnt' from another xterm.
This seemed to create a deadlock on the floppy. The drive light went
out, and neither the ls nor the cp would stop or go into the
background. I quit from X & tried kill -9 to no avail.

So in despair I sync-ed the disks & typed reboot. The machine waited
on syncing disks for ages, so I reset it.

What can I do to get my cd back?

I await your wisdom.
Peter

Peter Stubbs, St Aidan's AGS. ph +61 07 3379 9911, fax +61 07 3379 9432