Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:59:56 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jason Barnes <jbarnes@c3po.lpl.arizona.edu>
Cc:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, rbeyer@lpl.arizona.edu, Wayne Barnes <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
Subject:   Re: out of memory, but there's plenty left!

>> >options         MAXDSIZ="(2048*1024*1024)"
>> >options         MAXSSIZ="(2048*1024*1024)"
>> >options         DFLDSIZ="(2048*1024*1024)"
>> >
>> >and now everything works without any prolems!  Awesome!  Thank you very
>> >much for your help!
>>
>>    That was a bit overly aggressive and will almost certainly cause you
>> problems. The kernel has to organize the process virtual address space, and
>> there's only about 3GB available. The above tells the kernel that you want
>> 2GB each for stack and data...which is not going to work like you want.
>
>	It seemed that the limits were 512MB before, this isn't THAT great
>a change.  What kind of problems do you anticipate might crop up as a
>result of requiring the kernel to allow so much space for processes?

   There is a physical limitation because x86 is a 32 bit architecture. I'm
actually surprised that it worked at all, but the dynamic stack growth
probably saved you. I suggest lowering the stack back to 512MB. The problem
you were having is with the DSIZ. I would set that at 1GB, but 2GB might be
okay as long as MAXSSIZ in 512MB.
   The kernel uses MAXDSIZ to decide where to start putting shared libraries.
Setting it real high like that may cause problems if it runs into the stack.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
President, Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.