Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:21:17 +0600
From:      Tim Pierce <twpierce@bio-3.bsd.uchicago.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Who needs Perl?  We do!

> From: Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:00:19 -0700 (MST)
>
> The problem, again, is that the change cycle on PERL has historically
> been too short to base a FreeBSD release on a PERL release... PERL
> is moving faster than FreeBSD, in other words.

I don't believe this is the case, either.  In the last two years,
Perl has gone from 5.000 to almost 5.004, the same time frame in
which FreeBSD has gone from pre-2.0 almost to 2.2-RELEASE.  Do you
really find the differences between Perl 5.000 and 5.004 to be
*more* significant than those between FreeBSD 2.0 and 2.2-RELEASE?
I don't get that impression; if anything, FreeBSD seems to be
outstripping Perl in speed of development.