Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:09:21 -0500
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting my freeBSD4.6 partition to linux RH7.3

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 02:26:55PM +0800, Ronald Villanueva wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> Im trying set up freeBSD4.6 for the first time
> and i need help. since my working os is linux...
> it is where i download my internet informations.
> such as xfree86...
>=20
> my problem is what would i do inorder for
> my two OS (freeBSD/RH7.3) able to see each
> other.

If you mean on two different machines, you can use any of the usual
suspects, like NFS or scp.  If you mean on the same machine, you'll have
to recompile your FreeBSD kernel to add ext2fs support (which will mount
an ext3 partition. You'll add the line

options		EXT2FS

when you recompile the kernel. (See the FreeBSD Handbook for a detailed
explanation of recompiling the kernel--probably easier than redoing the
Linux kernel.)

You'll then be able to mount your RH partitions from FreeBSD--also look
at the handbook for how FreeBSD veiws partitions--it's a bit different
than Linux's /dev/hda2 and such, it's more like (if it were an IDE
drive)
/dev/ad0s1 etc. =20

As for vice versa--although you can compile UFS support in the Linux
kernel, last time I looked, the Linux kernel is a bit borked at the
moment.  Some googling found a hack that can be made to the Linux kernel
to enable it to mount a FreeBSD partition by Giorgos Keramidas, though
he calls it a relatively ugly hack.

It is relatively easy to add a single line of C code in the file
/usr/src/linux/fs/ufs/super.c, near line 655 that checks for a valid
block size.  All it takes is an additional ``&& uspi->s_bsize !=3D 16384''
and then the Linux kernel will accept 16384 as a valid block size too.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=3Den&lr=3D&ie=3DUTF-8&oe=3DUTF-8&selm=3D=
fa.hv5or3v.15koho%40ifi.uio.no&rnum=3D5

is the link to the actual post.  (Sorry about the linewrapping there--or
just do a search keramidas mount freebsd linux kernel on deja and it'll
be the first hit--you want the later post from 2002).

By the time I found this,  I was finding it less necessary to use, as
one machine is used almost entirely in Linux and another almost entirely
in FreeBSD, so I never tested it, nor do I even know if it's still
necessary.  At any rate, FreeBSD will be able to mount the RH
partitions.  (Though I don't think it does Reiserfs yet).

--=20

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )

Giles:  Demons after money.  Whatever happened to the still-beating
heart of a virgin?  No one has any standards anymore.

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--