Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 22:23:30 -0400
From:      Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, ccf@master.ndi.net, gordont@bluemtn.net, jkh@osd.bsdi.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 12:03:33PM -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:

> Here's the results I got from postmark, which seems to be the closest
> match to the original problem in the entire ports tree.
>
> Test setup:
> Two machines with the same make and model hardware, one running
> FreeBSD 4.0, the other running RedHat Linux 7.0.
>
> The data:
>
> Hardware:
> Both machines have the same hardware on paper (although it is TWO
> machines,
> YMMV).
> PII-300
> Intel PIIX4 ATA33 controller
> IBM-DHEA-38451 8063MB ata0-master using UDMA33 HD
>
> Note: all variables are left at default unless mentioned.
>
> 10000 transactions, 500 files.

What did you set size to?  How much memory on the machine?

I tested on a 700MHz Athlon system with 256MB RAM, Adaptec 2940UW
controller, 18GB IBM Ultrastar SCSI drive. You must have really low
memory or something because I know that 10000 transactions and 500 files
can't be enough for anything faster than my old Sun SS5.

I hit over 16MB/sec and 5000 transactions per second on my Linux
machine.  On the larger tests, it was disappointing.  I can't
test FreeBSD on SCSI right now, but my NetBSD machine (the
old Sun SS5 wasn't terrible at least:

Time:
        220 seconds total
        204 seconds of transactions (49 per second)

Files:
        5564 created (25 per second)
                Creation alone: 500 files (62 per second)
                Mixed with transactions: 5064 files (24 per second)
        4999 read (24 per second)
        4967 appended (24 per second)
        5564 deleted (25 per second)
                Deletion alone: 628 files (78 per second)
                Mixed with transactions: 4936 files (24 per second)

Data:
        32.12 megabytes read (149.52 kilobytes per second)
        35.61 megabytes written (165.73 kilobytes per second)

> 10000 transactions, 60000 files
> FreeBSD 4.0 with Softupdates, write cache disabled
> Time:
>         1259 seconds total
>         495 seconds of transactions (20 per second)

I got about 60 per second right here.

I was actually expecting better results from Linux and NetBSD than I
got, and would expect more from FreeBSD than you got.

I'm going to test FreeBSD tomorrow and Linux again with much larger
numbers of files and transactions.

--
 "Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are dangerous in            | | |
 herds."                                                             | | |