Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:25:19 -0400
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgres Startup Error Message

--Sig_aw47.nYYHtVBfr02pW_3giW

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:02:27 -0500
"Rick Apichairuk" <rick@logicmerc.com> wrote:

> > I occasionally receive this error message when booting up:
> >=20
> > Mar 25 08:28:24 scorpio postgres[756]: [1-1] FATAL:  the database
> > system is starting up
> >=20
> > Since it is an intermittent error message, I am unable to track
> > down what is causing it or how to fix it.
> >=20
> > Any suggestions? =20
>=20
> I had a similar problem before with an older version of PostgreSQL.
> The problem was that the rc script was waiting for input from the
> user. It was waiting for a password. Depending on how you set up your
> PostgreSQL, it might ask for a password on startup.
>=20
> It might help to post the versions of PostgreSQL and FreeBSD you are
> using.

I checked on the postgresql forum and received a reply. It appears that
a program is attempting to query postgresql before it is started. I
think it was dovecot. In any case, I reconfigured the rc.d file for
postgresql to start sooner in the boot process. That eliminated the
problem, or at least it appears to have done so.

--=20
Gerard

Forgetfulness, n:
	A gift of God bestowed upon debtors in compensation for
	their destitution of conscience.