Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:55:14 +0200
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
To:        Rich Winkel <rich@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: browser.cache.disk.parent_directory in firefox

--------------enigE00AF0A6EC51727695CC0091

Rich Winkel wrote:
> I'd like to move firefox's cache dir into tmp, under a user-specific
> parent directory.  How can I specify the userid in the argument to
> browser.cache.disk.parent_directory in the system-wide firefox.js setti=
ngs
> file?
> Something like
> user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory", "/tmp/ffCache/$USER");=

I needed something similar in Thunderbird, but couldn't find out
how, so I renamed thunderbird to thunderbird-bin, and made two new
shell scripts, thunderbird and thunderbird-setup.

The "thunderbird" script only checks for the existence of the
~/.thunderbird directory, and execs thunderbird-bin if found. If
not, it runs thunderbird-setup, followed by thunderbird-bin.

The "thunderbird-setup" script untars a premade config dir from a
global location, and seds through the directory afterwards,
replacing %USER% with the username, %NAME% with the full name, etc.

	sv.