Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:38:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      pgreen <polytarp@m-net.arbornet.org>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, <dave@jetcafe.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Neal E. Westfall wrote:

> > > Yes, but the "simpler" explanation is a logical contradiction.
> >
> > I fail to see how you reach this conclusion.
>
> Self-creation is a logical contradiction.  It is still a logical
> contradiction whether you see it or not.

That's assuming you are god.

> > > So basically what you are saying is that an absurdity is preferrable
> > > to supernatural creation.
> >
> > I fail to see the absurdity.  Further, I fail to see how any
> > creation precludes supernatural involvement.
>
> Who is arguing that?
>

> > Further, you are effectively claiming that the existance of
> > creation is physical evidence of God, and we know the Bible
> > specifically claims that God does not offer physical evidence,
> > since if He did, faith would not be necessary.  Further, physical
> > evidence of God is a cotradiction of the doctorine of Free Will.

PLeas.e

> Eh, chapter and verse, please.  Actually the Bible seems to indicate
> the exact opposite.  See Psalm 19, Romans 1 for example.  It is
> the physical evidence that leaves man without any excuse.  Physical
> evidence of God is a contradiction of the doctrine of free will?
> How so?
>

> > > This doesn't prove anything except that there are evolutionists who
> > > believe that sex is a result of evolution, and that you know how to
> > > type three words into a search engine.  So what?  Can you direct me
> > > to a specific link that addresses the problems I outlined earlier?
> > > Barring that, you can explain in your own words how sexual organs
> > > could have evolved, surmounting such tremendous odds.
> >
> > Randomly, and kept as a result of being advantageous to the
> > survival of the genes.
>
> Yeah, and a million monkeys given enough time can produce the works of
> Shakespeare.  If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale...

> > > -chat is a "technical" mailing list?
> >
> > Well, "-chat", wherever that's hosted, probably isn't, but

Nope.

> > "FreeBSD-chat" is arguably FreeBSD related, at least in extremis.
> > 8-).
>
> Okay, take your ball and go home, if you must.  8-(

> > > Of course you didn't think it relevent.  How convenient.
> >
> > It's not a matter of convenience, it's a matter of keeping to a
> > single stream of argument in a single message thread.  If you
> > want to start a seperate thread, feel free to make a seperate
> > posting.  Be aware that I will probably just cite the Federalist
> > Papers, read one response, and then, if that response is not

Wrong.
> > cogent, ignore the rest of the thread.
>
> Well, I suppose that's best left as an argument for another time.
> BTW, yes I do know about the relevence of the Federalist Papers.

> > > The additional premise is required in order to avoid absurdity.
> >
> > According to you.
> >
> > Look, I can personally make your theological arguments better
> > than you can, and I can do it in a context of the validity of
> > the right of secular science to come up with theories which
> > contradict religious doctorine, particularly when the results
> > ar

8)
e to be taught in secular schools sponsored by a secular state.

> If you think my theological arguments are substandard, then by
> all means you are free to improve on them.  And who is claiming
> secular science does not have the right to come up with theories
> which contradict religious doctrine?  And the whole purpose of
> the "secular" state in the first place was to preserve religious
> freedom, not to dogmatically ram naturalist philosophy down
> people's throats.  Once again, naturalists prove that they are
> unwilling to be tolerant of opposing views.
>

> > I don't understand what you are arguing, apart from trying to
> > weasel people down to the teaching of religious doctorinal
> > theory as some sort of equivalence to a theory derived from
> > the same principles, and meeting the same strict tests, as the
> > theiry it claims equivalence to.

BIBLE SAYS
  Qpoint system for sins!>

I'm just trying to get people to re-examine their basic
> philosophical presuppositions, and to see the anti-religious
> bigotry of promoting evolution as "truth" in public schools
> when you yourself admit it is just a theory.  If it is just
> a theory, why teach it as fact?  Why not a little honesty
> and humility?  Too much to ask for?
>

> > How about we start by you stating that you think creationism
> > is a theory, and that you are willing to replace that theory,
> > should a more rigorous one come along?
>
> It's not so much that, as that *any* theory about origins is going
> to be loaded down with philosophical or religious baggage.  In fact,
> there are only two possible theories for this, and they will in the
> nature of the case be diametrically opposed to each other.  I'm not
> asking for creation to be dogmatically taught in secular schools.
> I would just like the courtesy of a level playing field, or else
> the return of my tax dollars that are being used to indoctrinate
> people with views that I am philosophically opposed to.

> > > Please explain how randomness gives rise to order.  This is a
> > > contradiction.
> >
> > No, it's not, but I hardly have time to educate you to the level
> > of a PhD in mathematics, with a field emphasis on chaos and large
> > number thory, particularly if you are going to approach it as an
> > adversarial process.
>
> It doesn't matter how many PhD's a person has in mathematics, the
> belief that chaos gives rise to order is prima facie irrational,
> as it is a blatant contradiction in terms.  You don't need a PhD
> to see that, all you need is to see that the emperor is wearing
> no clothes.
>

> > > As you've noted, /dev/random is not a good analogy, since it
> > > isn't truly random.  This is why no computer could ever be used
> > > to "prove" the existence of chance.
> >
> > It's pseudo random.  Just like "chance".  I just have a particular
> > problem with the application of large number theory in /dev/random.
> > 8-).

That's about as logical as something from that 2600 moron.
> It appears we are talking past each other.  You agree that what
> people call "chance" is not random at all?
>

> > > So what you are saying is that chance has nothing to do with
> > > evolution.  Selection suggests intentionality that is strictly
> > > off-limits on a naturalistic explanation.
> >
> > Let me disabuse you of that interpretation.  Selection does not
> > imply someone to select.  It doesn't preclude it, but from our
> > understanding, it is the physical laws which govern selection.
>
> If you believe this, you *must* be a determinist not only with
> regard to life, but with regard to man's reason as well.  Reason
> cannot be accounted for solely on naturalistic terms.  We've
> gone over this before, and I didn't see a satisfactory answer.
> In fact, you appealed to "randomness" which you now appear to be
> rejecting.  If its the physical laws that account for life, it
> is the physical laws that account for belief, even those that are
> diametrically opposed to yours.  What is your proposed solution
> to this dilemma?
>

> > "God is the sum total of all physical laws" -- Albert Einstein
>
> An inaccurate statement, to say the least, which can at best
> lead to pantheism, at worst atheism (which are really the same
> thing, after all, per Spinoza).
>

> > > The problem with this is the so-called "random" inputs.  Unless
> > > you can show that they are truly random, such an algorithm proves
> > > nothing at all.  So it turns out that your "random" input is not
> > > input at all, but output.  Oh, and by the way, what are those
> > > selection criteria?  If your selection criteria is intelligently
> > > designed into the experiment, it would seem to undermine the
> > > whole thing by begging the question.  THERE IS NO SELECTION
> > > CRITERIA IN NATURE, unless you want to say that it was designed
> > > into the system, which forces you into a theistic wo
NOPE.

rldview.

> > Let's go back to a random mutation that results in an organsim
> > capable of breating Chlorine, but incapable of breathing Oxygen.
> >
> > The selection criteria in nature -- which you claim doesn't exist --
> > is the ability to breathe Oxygen in a 21%/78%/1% mix with Nitrogen
> > and other trace gasses.
> >
> > Such a mutation is selected against by the organism dying.
> >
> > By insisting that selection has a "first mover", you Deify nature.
> > I don't have a problem with you being a Deist, but you probably
> > ought to examine your own nature before you try to examine that
> > of others, and find them wanting in your eyes.
>
> Actually it would be incorrect to classify me as a Deist, since I
> believe in the doctrine of God's providence.  In fact, I don't
> believe that the uniformity of nature can be accounted for *without*
> the doctrine of God's providence, since we end up right back to
> the skepticism of David Hume.  Aristotle's first mover cannot account
> for the uniformity of nature either.

> > > Of course, this definition begs the question, doesn't it, since the
> > > whole question is as to the ultimate source of the worldly or temporal

:8
> > > concerns.  Evolution is an attempt to give an account of that, and as
> > > such has crossed over into the realm of religion and philosophy.  Why
> > > is it so hard to admit that?
> >
> > Because evolution ignores the need for God.  Which is what really
> > annoys you about it.
>
> Whether or not it annoys me is irrelevent.  Evolution does indeed attempt
> to give an explanation without reference to God, but replaces Him with
> an absurdity: random mutations giving rise to increasing degrees of
> complexity.

Random>?  I think not/

> > It doesn't take a position on whether or not there is a God or there
> > isn't a God.  It's not an athiestic world view, nor is it a theistic
> > world view.  It's orthogonal to the consideration of the issue of
> > whether or not there is God.
>
> Actually it is completely unworkable without positing the existence of
> God, since it relies on the general uniformities of nature and the laws
> of physics, which cannot be accounted for on anything but a theistic
> worldview.
>

> > Evolution does not comment on God, at all.
>
> Actually, by asserting that God is not necessary, it is making quite
> an explosive comment.
>

> > I'll fully admit that it is in the realm of philosophy -- all
> > science is in the realm of philosophy.  "PhD" means "Doctor of
> > Philosophy" (when translated to English).
> >
> > That doesn't make it a part of the realm of religion, unless you
> > happen to cleave to a *particular* philosophy that has as one of
> > its tenets that it is required to do so.
> >
> > The "and" in "religion and philosophy" was implied by your own
> > prejudices.
>
> Religion and philosophy deal with identical questions, so the
> conjunction is warranted.  The choosing of a naturalistic philosophy
> over a supernaturalistic one determines how one interprets the facts.

> > > And this is your justification for indoctrinating children with
> > > naturalism?  Why not play on a level playing field?  Are you
> > > afraid they might actually think for themselves?
> >
> > No, we are afraid that they will be about as useful to species
> > survival as the people who teach "new math" or "outcome based
> > education", where it's more important to respect the individual's
> > opinions than it is to maintain a working society.  8-).
>
> And you think I'm dogmatic!  Yeesh!
>

> > There's nothing that actually forces this so-called "indoctrination"
> > which you find offensive.  Because the state recognizes you freedom
> > of religion -- your freedom to turn the "and" in "religion and
> > philosphy" into an equivalence relationship -- the state permits you
> > to teach your children whatever you want to teach them, in private
> > schools.
>
> If the state didn't not extract money from my paycheck for the support
> of public schools, I would agree with you.

> > > Many have, but the evolutionary dogmatists won't even look at it.
> > > They are so entrenched in trying for force their evolutionary
> > > dogmatism down people's throats that they refuse to even look into
> > > the telescope, to use an apt analogy.  8-)
> >
> > That's simply not true.  The failure to displace evolutionary
> > theory is based solely on the inability of creationist dogmatists
> > to produce a theory that better fits the fitness function than
> > evolutionary theor

Nope.

y.

> Have you read Michael Behe?  William Dembski?  Michael Denton?
>

> > In fact, evolutionary theory has changed a number of times.  It
> > will change again in the future.  Your putative blind defenders
> > of the status quo would act against those changes, in the same
> > way that they would act against a sufficiently explanatory
> > creationist theory.  Yet the changes have occurred anyway.  This
> > places the blame not on defenders of the status quo, but on your
> > theorists, who failed to be as convincing as those who succeeded
> > in the same putative environment of intellectual inetia.
>
> Well, I must admit that the ID movement is young, and time will
> tell.

> > > At last!  We have an admission that evolution is unworkable without
> > > moving into a theistic worldview.

Next.

> > No.  Merely that it is representable in a theistic intellectual
> > space, by someone who insists that everything exist within a
> > theistic intellectual space at all times.
>
> Too bad.  8-(
>

> > > But then, what is necessary when people start talking about God?
> >
> > To let them talk?
>
> It was a rhetorical question.  8-)
>

> > > Is it permissable for everybody to just start wildly speculating
> > > about God?
> >
> > Apparently so... 8-).
>
> Apparently so, yet that doesn't mean that everyone is right.  8-)
>

> > > Or must we rely on God to tell us what he is like and how he has
> > > created the universe?
> >
> > Not unless we want to contradict the doctorine of Free Will, which
> > many religions hold to be sacrosanct.  It's safer to not get involved
> > in theistic arguments, except as necessary to point out that, by
> > making a scientific argument, one is not necessarily making a
> > theistic argument.
>
> It depends on what you mean by the doctrine of free will.  If you mean
> that man is free to decide for himself the nature of reality, the notion
> of free will is absurd.  On the other hand, Christianity teaches that
> man is enslaved to sin, so free will pretty much became irrelevent at
> the fall.  Man still freely chooses what he wants to do, but the problem
> of course is what he wants to do.
>

> > I'm sorry that evolutionary theory challenges your religious doctrine.
> > At one time, your religion accepted the Earth-centric Ptolemeyic model
> > of the universe as true, and incorporated the idea into the religious
> > doctorine of a human-centric special creation.  Now it no longer clings
> > to that idea.
>
> That's what got the church into trouble in the first place!  Galileo
> never opposed the teaching of scripture, it was the Aristotelian
> philosophy that had invaded the church that he found himself up

IGNORE EVERYTHING I"VE SAID>

> against.
>

> > In my opinion, it is best if religion stays out of the adoption of
> > scientific theory as doctorine.  Scientific theories are, inevitably,
> > replaced with new theories, and they are unsuitable subjects for
> > doctorine.  If a religion demands that the universe was created by
> > God, let it do so without attempting to tell God how He did it, and
> > allow people the intellectual freedom to speculate on the topic.  It
> > may be the reason the people are there in the first place.
>
> With this I think I can agree.  8-)
>

> Neal

i love romania.