Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:11:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Dave Kaufman <daverk@epix.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: user ppp problem

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Dave Kaufman wrote:

> i've just installed freebsd 4.4 release from cd on dual boot (win 98)
> machine. seems to be working fine. this is my first experience with any
> type of unix and i'm feeling my way.
> naturally one of the first things i've tried to do is get online. i've
> used the handbook, freebsd basics, freebsd unleashed and i'm stumped. i
> tried the script route but it wouldn't work and i'm not figuring out why
> so i thought to kiss and try a manual logon.
>
> i'm using a Creative Modem Blaster on com1. i go into ppp. set the
> device, go into term mode. tell it to dial. no problem it dials out,
> connects (usually, my isp sucks) and i get the following
>
> PROTOCOL:LAPM
>
> Username: - i enter it
> Password: - i enter it
>
> Line has invalid autocommand "ppp 199.224.64.28"
> NO CARRIER

That ip address resolves to apple.epix.net

Look at your ppp.conf file and see if it's in there somewhere; or see
if you have something automatic on ppp set up in rc.conf.  [I suppose
the other possibility is that you have this as a default phone number
in the default modem configuration (in the modem itself, in NVRAM).]
Try to start with a ppp.conf that you haven't edited.

	Annelise

> and that's it. i guess it's trying to assign an ip address to the
> connection but nothing i've read mentions anything about LAPM or this
> kind of problem. i checked the kernel and it is using tun0 ok, so i know
> it's not that.
>
> all help will be greatfully accepted.
> thanks
> Dave

Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC
Available from:	 BSDmall.com and amazon.com
Book Website:    http://www.bittreepress.com/FreeBSD/introbook/