Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 00:40:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "William R. Somsky" <somsky@dirac.phys.washington.edu>
To:        af@biomath.jussieu.fr
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Will a SB 16 PnP work with FreeBSD?

Ah! Someone who's used one!

> I have such a beast on my muti-OS PC and I did go through some trouble
> and headache with it, especially because it has a  built-in  IDE  port
> for CDROMs. That port does grab one IRQ. Since I already have two  IDE
> controllers  on  my  motherboard, I was pretty much running out of IRQ
> levels for the rest of my hardware.
>
> I had to deal with the DOS-mode PNP utilities and W95 control panel to
> permanently  disable the IDE port on the SB16 adapter. Neither of them
> are  well  documented  and  behave quite consistenly. I *really* would
> have preferred a good old card with jumpers. Plug and Pray still isn't
> my  cup  of tea. Still, it works nicely now with DOS6/Win3, Win95, and
> with FreeBSD.

Ok, you used the DOS utilities to set up the card.  I can live with that,
I guess, since I'm going to keep Win95/DOS around for games.  Now, do
these DOS utilities have to be run _each_ time the machine is powered up,
or do you just make the changes _once_, and the card will remember it's
settings forever, through reboots, power cycles, etc?  Having to revert
to DOS once would be OK for me (but not for others who don't want any
M$ contaminations on their machine at all), but having to boot DOS first
every time the machine is powered on would be a royal pain.

So, which is it?  Volatile or non-volatile?

And thanks for the info!