Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2011 09:20:23 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opening Opera as user

Just wanted to mention that Flash works fine for me with native Opera and th=
e opera-linuxplugins port.

So did you install linux-Opera from the port?  I haven't run linux-Opera on =
FreeBSD in a while (I run it in Linux:), so I don't recall - is the binary c=
alled "opera" or "linux-opera"?

Jud

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 2, 2011, at 2:22 AM, Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net> wrote:

>=20
>>=20
>>    I always start x as user.  I learned early on not to make the
>>    mistake of starting X as root.  I use Fluxbox with X, and had a
>>    terminal window open there with root invoked for that window.     That=
's when I first tried to open linux-opera.  Naturally, it
>>    opened fine, but will not open if I try to do the same thing from
>>    a terminal window as user.  I would like to set up Opera to open
>>    from the Fluxbox menu, but in order for that to happen the program
>>    needs to be opened as user, which is just what I can't do.
>>=20
>>=20
>> I'm not an opera user so maybe there's a reason I'm not aware of, but why=
 are you using linux-opera and not the native version?
>>=20
>> You can try to run it under truss(1) to see if that gives any clues as wh=
ere it's failing.
>>=20
>=20
> The reason that I installed linux-opera, as opposed to the native version,=
 is that all of the linux plugins seem to work quite well with this version.=
  Flash, for example, works beautifully, which is something that I have neve=
r had success using with any other browser and FreeBSD.