Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 16:08:24 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   data corruption

-hackers,

This is the most fucked up thing I've ever experienced with FreeBSD:

[hawk-billf] /home/billf/helpdesk > ls
./              ../             Makefile        hdesk.c
[hawk-billf] /home/billf/helpdesk > cd ..
[hawk-billf] /home/billf > ls hdesk
ls: hdesk: No such file or directory
[hawk-billf] /home/billf > cp -pRP helpdesk hdesk
[hawk-billf] /home/billf > cd hdesk
[hawk-billf] /home/billf/hdesk > ls
./              Makefile        hdesk.c
../             hdesk*          hdesk.o

Note that hdesk and hdesk.o suddenly came back from the dead.

It works in reverse, every now and then when running

$ echo "test" | ./hdesk

it will fail like so:

 75203 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbffb53,0xbfbffa48,0xbfbffa50)
 75203 ktrace   NAMI  "./hdesk"
 75203 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory

but if I run it again, it may work. the files are just appearing
and reappearing.

Another example:

[hawk-billf] /home/billf/helpdesk > make clean
rm -f hdesk hdesk.o
[hawk-billf] /home/billf/helpdesk > ls
./              Makefile        hdesk.c         ktrace.out
../             hdesk*          hdesk.o

hdesk and hdesk.o have been removed, but they are still hanging around.

If I copy the directories around (or move) them, I experience the same
oddity. If I make a whole new directory structure and

$ cat hdesk.c > /tmp/hdesk.c
$ cat Makefile /tmp/Makefile
$ mkdir notwhacked
$ cp /tmp/{hdesk.c,Makefile} notwhacked

the behavior goes away.

Someone tell me I'm wrong here...

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect / Computer Horizons Corp - CHIMES
e-mail: billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org

PS. No, it's not something stupid like file flags or something.