Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:07:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
To:        danielbat@usa.net, freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: ATM adapter ForeRunner LE 25Mpbs]

Daniel Macedo Batista <danielbat@usa.net> says:

>  Ok, I read the REAMDE, I compiled the kernel , and during the boot, or running
>  'dmesg' appears :
>
>  nicstar0: <IDT NICStAR ATM Adapter> port 0xe400-0xe4ff mem
>  0xffafe000-0xffafefff irq 10 at device 16.0 on pci0
>  nicstar0: 32K words of RAM
>  nicstar0: MAC address 00:20:48:21:be:17
>  nicstar0: driver is using old-style compatability shims
>
>  Then the adapter was detected, ok ?

yes, the adapter was found.

>  But, and now, what daemons, programs, commands I need to use, to configure
>  the adapter ? At the linux, I use the daemons zeppelin, ilmid and atmsigd
>  and configure the IP procotol normally with the ifconfig and route commands .
>  I see the ifconfig and route commands in the freebsd, but and the atm
>  configuration ? How I configure ?

next you need to enable the HARP atm(8) code. For example, using
PVC signalling, AAL 5, VPI 0, VCI 32 IP address 10.10.1.2 local
IP address 10.10.1.1 remote:

	atm set netif idt0 it 1
	atm attach idt0 sigpvc
	ifconfig it0 10.10.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
	atm add pvc idt0 0 32 aal5 null ip it0 10.10.1.1

see the manual page for atm(8) for more details.

--mark tinguely.