Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2001 17:02:12 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems

Mike Smith wrote:
> > > Why would we want to do that? Putting unnecessary things on / is always a
> > > bad idea, as root partition should remain small and as free of frequent R
> > > operations as possible.
> >
> > That is a *PERSONAL* opinion, so please mark it as such.  I personally
> > use 1.5GB / partitions.  I _personally_ see zero reason for a /usr
> > partition.
>
> PERSONALLY, I disagree. 1.5GB is too small these days; 2GB is a better
> choice. 8)

Heh, what sort of crud do you put in /usr/local? :-)  I usually use 512M
for /usr, and sometimes 1G if the machine is going to run X.  But I dont
put src, obj or ports in there.  /usr/obj has no business being in /usr in
the first place IMHO.  I symlink /usr/obj, /usr/src, /usr/ports and /var/
crash to /home/$dirname.  But then again, I usually dont use sysinstall at
all for installing new systems at home.

Cheers,
-Peter