Date:      27 Mar 2004 11:59:00 -0500
From:      Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Cc:        Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject:   Re: posix ps (was Re: Adding `pgrep' and `pkill' to /usr/bin)

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 09:46, Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Albert Cahalan wrote:
>
> AC>Cyrille Lefevre writes:
> AC>
> AC>Step 1:
> AC>
> AC>a. ps does old BSD behavior by default
> AC>b. /posix/bin/ps is a script that sets the SUSv3 personality
> AC>c. /usr/ucb/ps is a link to /bin/ps
> AC>
> AC>Step 2:
> AC>
> AC>a. ps does SUSv3 by default
> AC>b. /posix/bin/ps is a link to /bin/ps
> AC>c. /usr/ucb/ps is a script that sets the old BSD personality
>
> It don't think that 2a is a good step. Too many people are used to BSD
> behaviour especially if the are on a BSD system. Also it seems to me that
> having /usr/ucb on a BSD system is a silly thing. If you need /usr/posix
> (not /posix please) so it be.

I suppose you can be outcasts forever, causing cross-platform
sysadmins headaches until the world ends. (in 2038, naturally)

I forgot to mention an intermediate step that was used
when the Linux world made this very same transition.
The ps command had only BSD-like behavior, but warned
if a "-" was used. People griped about it for a bit
while adjusting their habits and scripts. Then, when
the cut-over happened, very few things broke.

Another trick that helped with the transition was to have
ps restart the command parser in BSD mode if the options
didn't make sense in UNIX mode. So "ps -axu" would trigger
this, issue the warning, and then go on to produce the
expected output. (you could re-exec to handle this if you
don't want to reset all the parser state)

So, I've been there. Things worked out great.