Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2012 11:45:46 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        nanoman@nanoman.ca
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WANT_GNOME Causes Automatic Dependencies
References:  <20120830182257.GC31703@nanocomputer.nanoman.ca> <CADLFttdJn4LcY1xzxt6VmT4364aZoBcqakuttf4hd37RW3i4tg@mail.gmail.com> <20120830214321.GD31703@nanocomputer.nanoman.ca> <CADLFttdT8-qZeu32RmKs0gMWH_ukbEyyk2zojnyC7G4fRDc6=w@mail.gmail.com> <20120831032033.GE31703@nanocomputer.nanoman.ca> <CADLFttfbkuPNRgUwGxkgj8rpHXgy67grDqod0vePi5sEt0cJPw@mail.gmail.com> <20120831182955.GA38282@nanocomputer.nanoman.ca>

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 1:29 PM, A.J. Kehoe IV (Nanoman)
<nanoman@nanoman.ca> wrote:
> Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM, A.J. Kehoe IV (Nanoman)
>> <nanoman@nanoman.ca> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Does anyone maintain a dependencies map for GNOME?
>>

>> Not that I know of. Speaking of dependencies... Since the GNOME 2 is
>> dead already. I think it's good time for us to remove the GNOME 2
>> dependencies option in some of ports. For example, editors/vim has
>> GNOME2 option so remove that part.
>

> Sounds good to me!  My knowledge of MATE is very limited, so I'm not sure
> what can be removed outright versus what needs a replacement.

Don't worry about MATE now. It's depend on how we should remove the
GNOME dependency. For example, if it's libgnome*, gconf2 or other
library then remove it without the replacement. If it's plug-in like
nautilus, epiphany or whatever then keep and replace it to the
OPTIONS.

BTW: GNOME and MATE folks are working on get rid of libgnomeui
(libmateui), gnome-vfs (mate-vfs), gconf (mate-conf) and etc. It makes
sense to remove those instead of switch to OPTIONS.

> Let's
> consider these six consecutive lines from editors/vim/Makefile:
>
> 1. '.  elif defined(WITH_GNOME2)'.  This would have to be converted to
> OPTIONSng, and I'm guessing the idea is to replace "GNOME2" with "MATE".
>
> 2. 'USE_GNOME= libgnomeui'.  I don't know if there's a libgnomeui equivalent
> in MATE.
>
> 3. 'PKGNAMESUFFIX= -gnome2'.  This can go.  It's my understanding that this
> package naming convention is being phased out.
>
> 4. 'MAKE_ARGS+= CONF_OPT_GUI="--enable-gui=gnome2" ${I18N}'.  Does "gnome2"
> get changed to "mate"?  I don't use Vim, so I don't know, but it's easy
> enough for me to check.
>
> 5. 'MAKE_ARGS+= X_LIBS="$(X_LIBS) -lXt"'.  I'm guessing that this will have
> to stay.
>
> 6. 'USE_XORG+= xt glproto'.  I'm guessing that this will have to stay too.

Remove all of that above.

>>> I'm not opposed to writing patches that will make the WANT_GNOME ports
>>> declare their dependencies predictably.  There are approximately 183
>>> ports
>>> using WANT_GNOME, so writing these patches is going to take me several
>>> days,
>>> followed by weeks of waiting for maintainer updates.  I might be able to
>>> get
>>> through this faster by asking the maintainers to assist me, but I expect
>>> have to do most on my own.
>

> [...]
>

>> Who said that you have to do it alone? :-) If you want to do it as
>> soon as possible. You can gather a team to hunt down those ports then
>> give a big patch to portmgr to do the test in pointyhat-exp. When
>> everything is perfect then commit it into ports tree with portmgr's
>> approval without need to ask each maintainers. You have my support and
>> approval to mess around with gnome@ ports. Show portmgr about this
>> email threads.
>>
>> If you can wait then I (and maybe kwm) will be able to help you with
>> it. We have enough stuff on our plates right now by trying to push
>> GNOME 3 into ports tree after the 9.1 released.
>

> I don't mind waiting a bit longer, but I'd like to end 2012 feeling
> blissfully free of the scourge of automatic dependencies.
>

>> FreeBSD GNOME Team only have two active people, kwm and me, that are
>> maintaining about over 460 ports (plus GNOME 3 and MATE ports that are
>> yet to commit). We need new blood to join gnome@.
>

> Is there a central place for tracking all of the FreeBSD GNOME/MATE projects
> and to-do lists?  I assumed this would be in the FreeBSD Wiki, but the GNOME
> page looks a little outdated, and I don't see a page for MATE.
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Gnome

Umm.. I forgot about that Wiki. I think I forgot my password too, I
will need to recovery the password. The TODO is in our head pretty
much, but yeah, you are right about that we need to throw it in
somewhere for the public view.

> I would indeed like to gather a team to weed out WANT_GNOME and the
> automatic dependencies this causes.  To do this effectively, I'd need
> something like the FreeBSD Wiki to track these issues.  Included here would
> be details of GNOME 3's import, MATE's import, and GNOME 2's decommission,
> which we would need to ensure forward compatibility.
>
> I don't have write access to the FreeBSD Wiki.  Assuming that this is what
> we'd use, before I can edit the GNOME/MATE/whatever page, you'll have to
> grant me this privilege.  "AJKehoe" is my username.

I saw that Eitan has given you the wiki access. Thanks Eitan! I think
it would be eaiser to use github that way anyone can clone, pull
request and etc more quicker than you have to send me or others patch
or something. You can go ahead set up and get start if you want to.

I saw you have sent an email in gnome@, but I haven't read it yet. I
will read in there when I can.

Cheers,
Mezz