Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 02:24:05 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Luigi's 'cdda' patches for 3.0-CURRENT...

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > Included is a patch for 3.0-CURRENT for Luigi's CDDA patch...should this
>
> note that most of this code comes from Luoqi Chen, I just
> wrote some minor parts and the tosha patch.

	Right now, I'm trying to use cdda for pulling the tracks, which
appears to do a nice job of it, but somewhere along the way, I suspect
that my files aren't coming out right.

	I do:

	cdda <track> > <file>
	sox -t cdr <file> <file>.aiff
	mpeg_musicin -b 128 -p 2 -l 3 <file>.aiff <file>.mp3

	But the <file>.mp3 doesn't appear to produce any sound other then
what appears to be "static"...

	I'm starting with a 1min 46sec song, cdda produces an 18Meg file,
sox produces an AIFF file that is *slightly* larger...the mp3 resulting
file is ~1.6Meg, which is what I expect.

	If I load up the mp3 in x11amp, it reports a song length of 1min,
47sec...but again, nothing more then what sounds like "static"...

	I'm going to try tosha w/ patches next, but considering that both
'sox' and 'mpeg_musicin' appear to be pretty "standard", my suspicion is
that its either the way that cdda is pulling the data, or the drive
itself...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org