Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 23:54:08 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Cc:        Studded@dal.net, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Needed: Info on shells and script writing

> > Thus were created the shells and counted thus: sh, jsh, rsh, ksh, csh,
> > tcsh, zsh, and bash, and from these their offspring, too numerous to
> > count.  And thus was never created a judge of shells, and the hackers
> > shall choose as they see fit.
> I love this, the whole thing.

Thank you.  (And if you want to reproduce it, go ahead; I hereby
disclaim all copyrights, but I'd like to know if you make any
changes.)

>> The first time you use adduser, it might ask for some defaults to
>> save. You might want to make the default shell csh instead of sh, if
>> it suggests sh as the default. Otherwise just press enter to accept
>> each default.

You may want to say how to change this.

>> Your shell is the most important part of your working environment. In
>> DOS, the usual shell is command.com. The shell is what interprets the
>> commands you type on the command line, and thus communicates with the
>> rest of the operating system.

These two sentances should be transposed; explain what the shell is,
then give an example.

>> Two shells come installed with FreeBSD: csh and sh. csh is good for
>> command-line work, but scripts should be written with sh (or bash).
>> You can find out what shell you have by typing echo $SHELL.

'echo $SHELL' should be quoted somehow.  If this is in TeXinfo, use
its @samp (or @code, as you deem appropriate), or use quotes if it's
in ASCII, but it should be clear that the period is not part of the
part to type.

>> It allows you to recall commands with the arrow keys and edit them. It
>> has tab-key completion of filenames (csh uses the escape key), and it
>> lets you switch to the directory you were last in with cd -. It's

Ditto.

You may also want to provide a pointer to the USD that describes csh.

>> Here are the three steps for installing a new shell:
>> 1. Install the shell as a port or a package, just as you would any
>> other port or package. Use rehash and which tcsh (assuming you're
>> installing tcsh) to make sure it got installed.

Reword last sentance.  rehash is sometimes necessary with bash,
although I haven't figured out when.

>> 3. Use the chsh command to change your shell to tcsh permanently, or
>> type tcsh at the prompt to change your shell without logging in again.

Remember that this is not going to change other users' shells; they
may each run chsh to do so.

>> Note: Do not change root's shell. It must be either sh or csh, because
>> otherwise you may not have a working shell when the system puts you
>> into single user mode. When you use su -m to become root, you will
>> have tcsh anyway, because the shell is part of the environment.

I forget, is toor a default user?  Since toor's shell can be changed.

You describe a bit about tcsh and using it, but not bash.  I'll write
a parallel to bash if you like.

Other than these few minor points, it looks good!

--
Second law of programming:
Anything that can go wrong wi