Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:32:41 +0100
From:      "Keith McDonnell" <KMCD@ie.ibm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, reebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   intalling on a thinkpad 560

Hi all ,

I am having trouble installing freebsd 42 on an IBM thinkpad 560 with
133mhz / 40mb ram .

1.   cannot boot from pccard cdrom ( fair enough )
2.   cannot boot from serial modem . (  phase deflink not connected error )
. Tried this on my desktop box with similar
     results . Tried to manually configure ppp settings in term mode - no
luck either .
3.   cannot boot from floppy ( ibm external floppy proprietry format )
4 .  no ether network setup so NFS is out

To make matters worse a hasty commit formatted the hard drive but didnt
install the os . Therefore I have a machine with the no boot loader prompt
.

I have a laplink cable , would it be possible to boot from my desktop box
( fbsd42release ) over the plip ?

Any help / *pointers greatly appreceiated .

Regards

kmcd