Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 19:46:37 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Matt Wimer <matt@cgibuilder.com>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 04:30:26PM +0000, Matt Wimer wrote:
> John Fieber writes:
>  > On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Matt Wimer wrote:
>  >
>  > > The gifmerge.tar.gz under ports/graphics is not actually a .gz even
>  > > though it is named as one.
>  >
>  > I just downloaded and it is a gz file for me.  What browser are
>  > you using?  It could be an interaction between the browser and
>  > the ftp server (which is out of my domain of control).  The tar
>  > files of the ports are generated by the ftp server on the fly.
>

> It must have been a freek.  Wuftp must have forgoten to gz the file
> this once.  That or my brain was messed.

I don' think your brain is messed - it's Netscape. It does this
occasinally for be as well - I'll follow a .gz link and it will get
uncompressed for me automagically. Sometimes it drops the .gz for my
copy (which is should..) and sometimes is leaves it as .gz even though
it actually went though the bother of uncompressing it (at least I think
it did!). The interaction between Netscape and WuFTP on these issues has
always been a bit funky if you ask me...

-Mark

> matt
>
>  >
>  > -john
>  >

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU