Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:30:31 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        Bara Zani <bara_zani@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a desktop ?

Doug Poland (doug@polands.org) wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:06:15AM -0500, Bara Zani wrote:
> >
> > so I decided to install freebsd and use it as my desktop client
> >
> I've been using FreeBSD for about a year in a Windows shop and you can
> co-exist.  I use windowmaker.

Kudos on your decision. I install a different window manager on
each desktop to heighten the emotional experience of running FreeBSD.

> > as for web - I have tried in vain to enable the Java plugin on mozilla can
> > someone help with that ?
> >
> I too, am waiting for latest Mozilla to handle Java applets.  Until
> that time, I keep an old copy of Netscape 4.76 installed.

If Java, Flash, inline RealAudio, etc. are really important to you,
you can always install the Linux Mozilla. The only requirement is
installing a linux-gtk, and there's even a port for that.

Although the FreeBSD Java team is working on a native Java plug-in, it
is likely that FreeBSD will always lack Flash and other proprietary
plug-ins.

This is probably emotional of me, but I prefer to run a native
Mozilla.  It's so incredibly rare that I find a page that is
absolutely usless without Flash or Java that you can't use it.
Plus, it's interesting and sometimes valuable to view the web with
non-proprietary goggles on.

> > image viewers ( xv ? ) video files ( mpg, divx , avi )
> >
> xv is a good viewer, use gimp for editing.  I use linux RealPlayer 8
> for streaming audio/video

mplayer is getting a great repuatation as an mpg/divx/avi player.

> Printing: I'm not a printing guru so I installed the apsfilter-6.1.1
> port.  All our network printers speak lpr and have IP addresses so
> printing (black and white) works.  I don't know how to print to MS
> shared printers.  I recommend Ted's book to cover that.

You can install the Unix Line Printing Daemon on the NT Server and it
will 'speak lpr'.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com