Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 2021 00:03:43 +0200
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        Yuri Pankov <yuripv@yuripv.dev>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loader/boot fonts are painfully small (again)

> On 11. Feb 2021, at 23:21, Yuri Pankov <yuripv@yuripv.dev> wrote:
>=20
> Lenovo P51 laptop, 15'' 4k (3840x2160) display.
>=20
> Booting from the latest available current snapshot (20210107), fonts
> were at least readable; updating to the latest bits (manually =
installing
> new loader as well) made them really small -- terminal size reported =
by
> stty is 480x135.
>=20

It is a issue about not so good automatic font size setup. The original =
code was using 80x24 terminal as base, it was complained it did end up =
with too large fonts, so I did pick uefi terminal size as base (see =
output from mode command), but thats also not perfect. Till better =
solution, right now the option is to set font manually (screen.font =
variable).

> I have also noticed large delays between different loader screens,
> probably caused by very slow screen blanking given the terminal size?

yes, it definitely needs boost.There are few things we can do about it.

rgds,
toomas