Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:00:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/53200: 5.1-RC1 SMP kernel boot gags at "APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery"

The following reply was made to PR i386/53200; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To: Graeme Tattersall <gtattersall@tibus.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:50:17 +0200

 --C7PTD44AewjTsiSV

 On 2003.07.23 16:20:12 -0700, Graeme Tattersall wrote:

 >  My System is a Dual P3/1Ghz system, using a Tyan Thunder LE board, based=
 =20
 >  on the Serverworks Serverset LE3 chipset. I'm running 5.1 Release,=20
 >  currently under the generic kernel. Generic-SMP does not work.

 Have you tried 4.8?  Just to know if it something from 4.x -> 5.x or a
 more general probblem.

 >  I'm seeing this problem also - Kernel hangs at the "Testing 8254=20
 >  interrupt delivery" message.

 I had this problem on a Fujitsu Siemens P250, and enabling Hyper
 Threading fixed it (4.8 though).  Worth a try.

 If it doesn't work try changeing the BIOS settings, sometimes this
 helps.

 >  Should this bug be uprated in severity? -=20

 The severity field is not really used for anything, so there isn't any
 reason to do that.

 Note that I'm not a kernel hacker, so I probably can't help much more.

 --=20
 Simon L. Nielsen
 FreeBSD Documentation Team

 --C7PTD44AewjTsiSV