Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:44:44 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for testers for if_dc patches

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 04:32:42PM -0700, Bill Paul wrote:

> > > - It has a 21143 chip
> >
> > Well, the de driver says 21142. The dc driver says 21143.
>
> It's just a difference in chip revision, really.

OK.

> > This one does not have AUI so that is not going to be a problem. What I do
> > wonder, though, is what will happen if a 10/100Mbit bulkhead is installed on
> > this machine. I don't expect the PCI ID to change (right?). I can pull
> > the 10/100 bulkhead from my Miata GL to give this a try.
>
> It would help if you could look at both of them and tell me what chips
> are on them. The 21143 can do 10Mbps all by itself, but for 100Mbps
> you'd need an extra transceiver. I've been working under the assumption
> that they're just using the built-in 10baseT port on the 21143, but
> it's possible they're using the GPIO bits to do some funny business
> to switch the ports.

The 10/100 bulkhead has two National Semiconductor chips, DP83840AVCE
and DP83223V

> You have to be able to tell that the chip only supports 10Mbps modes.
> The 21143 is a 100Mbps chip, and only in certain cases do people design
> 10Mbps-only NICs around it. The problem is that to know if you've got
> only 10Mbps, you normally have to slog through the SROM info, however a
> lot of card vendors get this wrong, so I don't even bother with it.
>
> > There is something else that might interest you: when replacing a 10 Mbit
> > only bulkhead with a 10/100 one you need to connect it to the PCI bulkhead
> > with a different cable to a different connector (on the PCI bulkhead). The
> > 10/100 one is silkscreened as MII.
>
> Then it probably has a 10/100 PHY on it. Assuming the driver can probe
> it without having to flip any magic GPIO bits, it should work.

With the 10/100 in place I get a 100mbit connection (according to my hub's
LEDs) after powerup. After FreeBSD has booted (with the Compaq-like hack
in dcphy in place) I see the 100mbit LED of the hub switch off. But I don't
get a working 10mbit link either.

In the machine I borrowed the 10/100 from (a later model Miata GL) 100mbit
works like a charm with the dc driver.

On the Alphas there is also the SRM ewa speed select variable [ as if
this was not confusing enough ]. I tried setting ewa0_mode to both 10baseT
and 100baseT. In both cases there results were the same, no working link.

> I'm sure it is non-MII. It's still supposed to work, however it's hard
> to tell just what I'm supposed to do to make it happy from way over here.

Using the de driver I got a working connection and here is pciconf -l
with the 10/100 card installed:

bash-2.04# pciconf -l
de0@pci0:3:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00191011 rev=0x11
hdr=0x00
none0@pci0:4:0: class=0x010180 card=0x00000000 chip=0x06461095 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
isab0@pci0:7:0: class=0x000000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x04848086 rev=0x43
hdr=0x00
pcib1@pci0:8:0: class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00241011 rev=0x01
hdr=0x01
isp0@pci0:11:0: class=0x010000 card=0x53492050 chip=0x10201077 rev=0x05
hdr=0x00
none1@pci0:12:0:        class=0x000100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x88d05333
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00

I don't think there is something relevant to be found that differs from the
10 mbit bulkhead.

There is something else that bothers me: I remove the 'device dc'
line from the kernel config file (leaving a device miibus and device xl in)
and adding 'device de'. config MX5, make depend && make && make install in
/sys/compile/MX5. reboot. Pang: kernel stack not valid, halt. When I do a
config -r MX5 I can build a kernel that works/boots OK. Could it be that
there is something in the dependency for miibus? I don't recall that it
rebuilt the miibus module. And the 'kernel stack not valid' thing happens
just after the module loading message says "miibus". I don't pretend to
understand this to be honest.

I hope the info above helps a bit, and does not add too much to the
confusion.

W/
--
Wilko Bulte 	FreeBSD, the power to serve  	http://www.freebsd.org