Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:46:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, regnauld@ftf.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh my, penguins are a'comin': DebianBSD

> >I fully support getting the best bits to the most people, and I
> >don't give a damn who pushes those bits under what cover, so
> >long as the chosen cover doesn't reduce the possible total we
> >can count when we say "the most people" (e.g. "but not you, Bob;
> >you're an evil capitalist, and we hate you").
>
> The problem is that, if BSD code (or even extensions to it) wind up
> under the GPL, this is exactly what happens! What can be done
> about this?

BSD code, other than that distributed under Jordan's modified UCB
license, which eliminates the claim credit clause, can not be
GPL'ed, period.  It conflicts with clause 6b of the GPL as an
additional restriction.

Also you are unlikely to find a commercial organization willing to
allow their proprietary code to be GPL'ed, even if they decide to
"Open Source" it, for reasons of patent rights dilution, if for
no other.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---